Frequently Asked Questions

Whilst we try to keep things as clear as possible, schools can be complicated places.  Below are a list of frequently asked questions that we hope will help:


Do you have a school uniform?

We expect all children to wear school uniform. Details can be found under our policy section. These can be bought online or you can enquire at the office for help.

What if something gets lost?

Please make sure all clothing is clearly marked with your child’s name so that it can be returned if found.  We collect lots of lost property each term.  The lost property cupboard is in the school resources room.  Unclaimed items are sent to a charity shop.

Can my child wear jewellery in school?

For safety reasons children should not wear any jewellery in school.  However, they may wear a wrist watch and if your child has pierced ears, small studs may be worn.  These will need to be removed for PE lessons and if your child goes swimming.

Tell me about PE.

Children should bring in the Millbrook Park PE kit to wear; light green top and shorts.  More information can be found in the Parents section under Uniform.

Is there any shade in the playground?

There is some shade in the playground provided by the many overhanging trees.  We recommend that during the hot weather your child brings a sun hat to wear in the playground.

What happens at lunchtime?

A school meal is available and is free for children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.  Children in Year 3-6 can either pay for a school lunch or have a healthy packed lunch.

Can I get free school meals?

If you think that your child is entitled to free school meals, please speak to a member of staff in the office.

Is drinking water available?

Water is available in the dining hall and from drinking fountains in the playgrounds.  Children are also permitted to bring water into school to drink in the classroom during the day.  This water should be in a clear plastic container that has a securely fitting lid.   It should be labelled clearly with your child’s name.  Water bottles may not be taken into the playground.  All taps in the schools classrooms and around the school provide drinking water.

What should I do if my child is not well?

 Please telephone school to let us know why your child is absent.

What happens if my child has an accident at school?

Unfortunately, sometimes children do have accidents or become unwell whilst they are at school and we need to call you.  It can add to your child’s distress if we are unable to contact you.  Please ensure that we have up to date contact telephone numbers for you and tell us straight away if these change.

What time does school start?

School gates open at 8.45 and school starts promtply at 8.55.  Please be in school on time, every time.

How can I help my child settle into school?

Bring your child to school on time.  Arriving late can mean that your child misses important information about the lesson.  It can also be embarrassing for your child and is disruptive for the class.

What else can I do?

Please ensure that you attend parent/teacher consultation days and special events in school; help out with fund raising; offer to go on school trips; notify us of absences; read all the letters that your child brings home; support your child with homework; read together; give praise and encouragement.

What happens at the end of the day?

School finishes at 3.30 p.m. (Reception) and 3.35 (Year 1-6).   Children must be collected by a known adult.  Please let us know if someone different from usual is collecting your child. 

Can I park on the premises?

No.  There is no parking available for parents and carers.  Please park your car away from the school gates.  The area outside school becomes very congested and is then unsafe for children arriving and leaving school. 

I have some free time.  How can I help?

We welcome parents and carers in school.  If you would like to help, please let us know.  Helping in school allows you to understand what your child is learning and how you can encourage your child to learn.  It also extends a helping hand to a busy teacher.  You can help in other ways too, such as covering books.

Can I buy a book bag?

Book bags and back packs can be purchased from the school uniform shop.  This bag will help to protect your child’s book from the weather and accidental damage.

What else is my child allowed to bring to school?

Children should not bring toys, sweets, valuables or money into school.  We cannot be responsible for children’s property.

When can I talk to the teachers?

Teachers are busy settling their classes first thing in the morning and can only receive the briefest of messages at that time.  They are more easily available at the end of the day when they have dismissed their classes.  Teachers are happy to make appointments to see you if you would like a longer chat. 

Do you have after school clubs?

We have a range of clubs that we offer; football, drama and chess.  We also have an extended provision for parents who require child-care until later in the day. More can be found on the 'About the School' tab under Extended Schools.  Breakfast club starts at 7.55am and After School Club runs from 3.35-6.00pm.

Are children given homework?

We expect children to read at home every day.   Children should bring their book bag in to school twice a week to change their book.  Depending upon your child’s age, other tasks will be set, such as a maths activity, a topic to research or spellings to learn.

What if my child has special needs?

We can meet a variety of special needs in school.   Please discuss your child’s needs with the teacher.   The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) will be happy to meet with you to discuss specific concerns.

What if my child can’t speak English?

We have many children in our school who are learning English and your child would be supported as part of our inclusive ethos.

What should I do if I am worried about my child’s progress?

Ask for an appointment to talk to the class teacher about your concerns.  If you are still anxious, please ask to see the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator or the Head of School.